Saturday, April 26, 2014

Top 5 Things I've Learned as a New Celiac Mom

1. Be prepared

Gone are the days of just winging it. I always have to think ahead and have food packed. Whether it's a day at the beach, a hockey tournament weekend, or a drive into the city for the day, I am always prepared.

2. There are more gluten free folks in my circle there than I realized

I was worried that my Celiac Son would have a hard time going to friend's houses and that they wouldn't understand that, even though he was showing up with his own foods, there was still the issue of cross contamination. Luckily, he has many friends who have at least one gluten free member of their family AND they get it.

3. We've had the chance to try so many new yummy recipes

I have really enjoyed researching gluten free recipes. It has given me a chance to find gluten free bloggers like A Girl DeFloured who have the yummiest ideas and recipes to share.


4. We already ate a lot of gluten free foods before the Celiac diagnosis

Most of our dinners were already gluten free. Meat and vegetables are naturally gluten free—it's mostly just the sauces, dressings, and gravies that I have to pay better attention to. But honestly, our dinner menu has not changed drastically.

5. I am still an overprotective 'Mama Bear'

I thought I had outgrown this once my children started getting a little bit older, but you mess with my child, gluten, you're gonna hear me roar!


Image Credit: Creative Commons | babies-dangerous-wild-animals.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to follow your blog! My mom was so helpful after I was diagnosed (and still is) even though I was in college. I'm glad to hear that your son is feeling better as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaila! Thanks for the great comment. I'm sure your mom really appreciates that you recognize her. Your mom is your mom no matter how old you are! How is your journey now that you are in college? I'm sure that I can learn a lot from you as well. Are you on Twitter? I would love to follow you.

      Delete